Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Introduction BlogPost 1

Trinity College Library-sourced from Wiki website

My research topic will focus on Six Beautiful Libraries from Around the World. I plan to cover libraries from the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. I will be reporting on 1 library per week via my blog as required for this unit of study. It is quite difficult to initiate this plan without knowing much about the content, however this plan will assist me to arrange the content in a logical way.

The outline is at present rather broad. I have currently been spending time researching the Web, investigating many beautiful libraries. Some sites have been hard to get in English text.  The intention is to explore each library's history, architecture and collections held - including some special collections.
I will also include each library's collection policy and provide plenty of visual content such as: photos (images from flickr), links and videos, blogs from hosting platforms like Tumblr, with a possibility of using other peoples findings and comments. I’ll begin by gathering research information from each library's website, Swinburne databases and online resources and access some outsourced databases. Perhaps I will even anticipate gathering some books and place an inter-library loan.

The libraries I plan to research are: Trinity College, Dublin; New York Public Library (as I will be visiting New York this May); George Peabody Library, Maryland; Queens College Oxford, England; Vassar College Library, New York; Austrian National Library, Vienna including data on the Museum Halls within this incredible building.

I have not decided which Library to begin with, however I do plan to work on the two New York Libraries whilst on my travels in New York in May, 2012.

The reader of my blog needs to know what to expect from my weekly entries, so an introduction each week is essential. I'm not quite sure whether my personal opinion will count for much at this early stage of development, however the picture will become clearer as this is truly a work in progress.

2 comments:

Nice Book said...

Lovely Topic L9!
When in NYC you may also like to visit the Library Hotel ~
http://www.libraryhotel.com/

lotus9 said...

Thanks Nicole! Just added it to my favourites, although cannot afford to stay there. Perhaps I may be able to visit and take some pics...